This work offers a summary of “Be Your Own Brand” by David McNally and Karl Speak. In this brilliantly articulate summary, David McNally and Karl Speak argue for the importance of developing one's own personal brand. Companies know and understand the importance of building their brands, and people should do precisely the same thing. Strong brands are fuelled by loyal, lasting relationships, consistent service and added value. Your personal brand involves some of these elements but also the following key components which are outlined by the authors:
1) A list of your personal competencies
2) Your personal standards – how you like to get things done
3) Specific style elements – your personality and how you relate to people
4) Your brand promise – what you propose to deliver
5) Your brand platform – your personal signature character trait
The summary goes into detail on each of the above points giving a very lucid concept of what a personal brand could and should be. Using real life examples and a series of probing questions, this summary will give you the tools to define your personal brand, as well as the confidence to use it at work and at home. It also encourages you to keep refining and developing your brand manifesto to ensure that it is always authentic and aligned with your goals.