vigorously with a wooden spoon until it’s light and fluffy.
3. Add one egg and stir the mixture thoroughly. Repeat until all four eggs have been added, one by one. Then stir in the vanilla essence.
4. Sift the self-raising and plain flour together in a separate bowl, then gently mix it into the egg, butter and sugar mixture.
5. Pour the mixture into a 20 cm square cake tin lined with baking parchment. Bake it in the centre of the oven for about 75 minutes. You can check the cake is ready by putting a skewer into the middle of the cake – it should come out clean.
Warning. Always wear oven gloves when putting something in the oven or taking it out. Get an adult to help you.
6. Take the cake out of the oven, remove it from the tin and leave it to cool on a wire rack.
7. Make two more cakes like this