This Caldecott Activity Book is intended to be used while reading Kitten’s First Full Moon, by Kevin Henkes. This delightful story is enhanced with targeted questions and activities related to the story. The Questions section asks probing questions about specific illustrative details, as well as thought-provoking questions related to the story. It allows children an opportunity to formulate and verbalize their thoughts, allowing them to actively participate in the learning process. The Activities section reinforces what they’ve discussed and learned in the Questions section. They have an opportunity to engage in Art, Writing, Science, and Math activities. The story can be read many times throughout the year, allowing children, teachers, and parents an opportunity to focus on various skills. This Caldecott Activity Book develops critical thinking skills, vocabulary, comprehension, and social interaction experiences.
WHAT YOU’LL SEE IN THE BOOK:
• Art: Children will have an opportunity to use various art techniques and skills.
• Writing/Language: Children will learn some basic grammar principles and they’ll write simple sentences and stories.
• Science: Children will engage in research to learn about various topics related to the book.
• Math: Children will learn about collecting data and using this data to create graphs.
• Reading Comprehension: Children will be asked thought-provoking questions to aid in their comprehension of the story.
• Nature: Children will observe and discuss various elements in nature.
• Social Interaction: Children will have many opportunities to work cooperatively with each other.
• Home/School Connection: Children will have an opportunity to explain and expand on what they’ve learned in class.