GSS is World Beyond War's effort to describe an alternative security system – one in which peace is pursued by peaceful means – to replace the present war system. It describes the "hardware" of creating a peace system, and the “software” – the values and concepts – necessary to operate a peace system and the means to spread these globally. Key sections include:
* Why is an Alternative Global Security System both Desirable and Necessary?
* Why we Think a Peace System is Possible
* Common Security
* Demilitarizing Security
* Managing International and Civil Conflicts
* International Non-government Organizations: The Role of Global Civil Society
* Creating a Culture of Peace
* Accelerating The Transition To An Alternative Security System
This report is based on the work of many experts in international relations, peacebuilding and peace studies and on the experience of many activists.
This 3rd edition reflects new thinking and insights as well as the feedback from readers and partners. This is not just another report, but a living document that we will continually seek to improve. New in this edition is an analysis of Trump's foreign policy agenda; updated and new data on peace economics and military spending; and new or updated sections including the business of peacebuilding, demilitarizing security, multi-track diplomacy framework to peacemaking, and many other additions.