Once you’ve determined the purpose of a child’s or student’s seemingly senseless behavior by doing a functional behavior assessment (FBA), the next step is to work on changing or modifying the behavior.
Stop That Seemingly Senseless Behavior! outlines an educational approach for parents, teachers, adult service providers, and aides that not only quickly reduces the problem behavior but also teaches the individual with autism new skills to get his needs met. It covers:
– Review of what an FBA is – How behavior is learned and unlearned
– Preventing challenging behavior
– Replacement behaviors
– Reinforcement techniques
– Pros & cons of reinforcement vs. punishment
– Interventions tailored to the function of the problem behavior
– Collecting and graphing data
– Writing behavior intervention plans
– Positive Behavior Supports
Full of case studies and “Keep it Simple” tips, plus forms, figures, and graphs, Stop That Seemingly Senseless Behavior! offers families and professionals proven strategies to change a person’s challenging behavior, helping him to have a more productive and inclusive future.