Judith Mason was born in Pretoria in 1938. She studied at the University of the Witwatersrand in the 1950s, obtaining a BA Degree in Fine Art in 1960. Her first solo show was held in 1964. In the 1970s and 80s Mason was highly visible in the South African art world at a time when the country was isolated both politically and culturally from the rest of the world. Even so, she was chosen to represent South Africa at the Venice Biennale, and at Art Basel while represented by The Goodman Gallery. In the 1990s Mason returned from living and teaching in Florence, Italy. At this time, her work became part of the South African school and university curricula and she also taught history of art, drawing and painting at the Michaelis School of Art, University of Cape Town. Mason is still prolific well into in the 21st century and is represented in major public collections in South Africa, as well as in collections in Europe, the USA and Australia. Her public commissions include The Constitutional Court and tapestries in collaboration with Marguerite Stephens and stained-glass window designs for the Great Park Synagogue in Johannesburg. Apart from producing a large body of work over the decades, Mason has published her work in books, and as limited edition lithographs with The Artists' Press. Judith Mason died in Mpumalanga, December, 2016.